Friday, April 3, 2015

Counterfeit

I've been a mom for over 2 years and sometimes it hits me all over again. I'm a mom?  Of two?  I have a toddler?  When did that happen?

Somedays I feel like I'm playing house. I'm not worthy. My parenting theories are shaky at best.  I feel like a counterfeit, passing myself off as the real deal while questioning myself inside.  The real irony is that my little people look up to me with complete trust in their eyes, always believing that I have the answers.  Ha! If only they knew! 

I watch other moms out of the corner of my eye like a student cheating on a test. How does she resolve the same challenges?  Can I learn something from the way she handles her kids?  I suspect that other people feel this way too. Does anyone really feel like they have it all figured out or are we all just making it up as we go?

I remember calling my mom from the depths of sleep deprivation, desperately seeking a remedy to Carter's sleepless nights. Her answer surprised me. "I don't know," she said. Here was my mommy role model and she didn't have a magical  solution. How was this possible?  I felt like Dorothy, pulling back the curtain to find that the great and powerful Oz was just an old man. It was both scary and reassuring at the same time. If she doesn't have all of the answers, then it's okay if I don't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment