Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Ceasefire

If you have ever been down the rabbit hole of online parenting forums, you know that the mom wars are alive and well.  Breastfeeding, formula, natural childbirth, scheduled c section, baby led weaning, co sleeping, cry it out, etc. Strangers passionately argue over the merits of their method of parenting. But I ask you, does it really matter?  Can't we all agree to raise our kids in a way that works for us and support one another?  Being a parent is hard enough without the added pressure of mommy wars. So much of the antagonism stems from an insecurity that lives in the heart of every parent. We fear that we are somehow not enough, that another parent is doing a better job, but that could not be further from the truth. You have been entrusted to raise your little people for a reason and no one knows how to do that better than you. 

I offer my own personal ceasefire. I am not here to compete with you.  My children are not here to compete with your children. I support you and know that you're doing your best. Only you know what works for your family and I'm not judging you.  Let's stop focusing on our differences and instead find common ground. 

When I see you on the playground, I'm not eyeing your choice in snacks or how you choose to discipline your children.  Let's enjoy the sunshine and the giggles of our children playing together. Because that's what it's all about: raising happy kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment